Friday 1 September 2017

Day 35: Mt Leaota to Bucharest, 313 km. The End.

Day 35 - Mt Leaota to Bucharest, 318 km. The End.

What an awesome finish to my TET!

Boy, did I make the right decision stopping last night, and leaving to the morning 6km of spindly steep single track descent to the valley. Lethal otherwise.
Turns out it was a pretty good spot after all, even in the cold hard light of day.
The bit I forewent last night. Not sorry.
Skipped loop around Lake Bolboci for ridge-lines run north to Brasov. And what a stunner. Fast and flowing up top, but getting there and then up was pretty gnarly.
Please Jon, say I get to ride up that!
I do I do I do!
I'm not sure following the black and white poles along the ridge-top is the DS solution. The route follows the hardcore-covered trail slightly lower. But I was riding in well worn tyre tracks.
You can just make out the trail in the distance.
This was the best ridge-line ride yet, riding right up to and along the precipice.  I did *not* want to overcook any of the blind summits here!  Those poles are essential!

Dropped off TET and the ridge line at Azuga, from the top of a ski-lift down what turned out to be fabulously tight, steep, sinewy MTB single-track.

Then 33km of slab to Brasov for lunch, and the balance of 200km back to Bucharest. Simple. So I thought. But the moment I joined the A3 my fuel light came on, and there are no service stations (just tempting signs for where they might one day be built).
Brasov
Ah. Four kind people stopped but couldn't really help, besides drawing me my natty sign. I called a mate from Bucharest to rescue me with a petrol can.
Even now the riding might have stopped, but adventure hasn't quite yet: still need to work out how my bike and kit is getting home. Glad I've got a bed to sleep in and shower and laundry tonight.

This, I thought just looked pretty.
NB: Functionality disabled to prevent extracting KML. If you want to follow the route, get the latest data from TransEuroTrail.org
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Transeurotrail.org/permalink/860131980808614/

No comments:

Post a Comment