Thursday 10 August 2017

Day 13: Ventimiglia to Turin, 280km

Day 13: Ventimiglia to Turin, 235km

I don't think the Gods of TET will smile on me today: I took a shortcut.  A big one.

First though, I was pleased to get out of town, and even found a replacement spare tube before I left Ventimiglia for good.  Only 7km back up the highway to the route, and a fiddly series of switchbacks to the first bit of trail.

TET didn't start well: the very first section is impassable - I can see what looks like a track on OpenStreetMaps, but it just isn't there, and round the other side there is a very locked very large gate.  Eventually I got going on some rocky, long sections, then back to tarmac minor roads.  I was starting to get pretty fed up with fiddly hairpins, especially when after 75km I saw a road sign for Ventimiglia saying "20km"

But then the route took me up over the border back to France and the views were spectacular.  This was Collardente Mountain to La Brigue.

I didn't realise at the time, but the route actually runs along the border on top of a ridge line for a long way here.
Still by the time I got to Tende for lunch (and frustratingly found everything - including the sandwich shop - closed 1200-1500!) I had a decision to make: up to Aosta, the official TET track is 650km.  But from Tende, it was only 45 minutes on the autoroute to Turin.  I could cut out a lot of squiggles, and get going eastwards again immediately.

I could see from the map that while there were some great looking long trail sections, there were also lots of fiddly tarmac switchbacks which were becoming a chore.  I think there was also something psychological; I didn't want to spend 2 or even 3 days heading north and east when my ultimate destination was south and to the west, nor did I want the two week anniversary to tick around while stuck on the same longitude.  Plus if I have time in hand, I'd rather spend it later in the Balkans or staying with friends in the region.

What would I miss?  Well, I won't know.  I'm sure some great trails and brilliant views.  Also, more of those hairpins!  At the end of the day, it's my trip.

Doesn't help that my stomach isn't fully better yet.  Might have been the mountain river water from the other day, when the bike got stuck on the shale section of mistaken single track.

And so I blasted down the highway.

Opportunity for some scientific speed trials too of the Nomad screen... Turns out the windblast etc doesn't actually get any worse from 100kph (my normal limit) to 130kph.  The vortex of air coming underneath the screen also means there's a point of balance where your helmet gets sucked back up, so it's almost restful...  And if you twist the wrist further?  Well I got to 167kph (indicated) before the speed wobble really kicked in and I backed right off!

Now in a hotel in Turin which is almost the same price as the campsite in Ventimiglia!

It's not quite as nice inside... Cheap though!
I'll probably re-join the route tomorrow to the north-west of Turin.

No comments:

Post a Comment