Friday 25 August 2017

Day 28: Crkveni Toci to Bajina Bašta, 290 km

Day 28 - Crkveni Toci to Bajina Bašta, 290 km

Morning's route had slightly more Western European character: short tarmac sections connecting outrageously steep and rutted tracks. Some logging trails too. But more engaging; fewer just-take-a-seat gravel roads then has been the case recently.

Resevoir
Seen hundreds of these hay ricks, so decided I needed at least one representative photo!
That said, I did enjoy following a Lada Niva carrying two men and three sheep inside. Oh, and a logging truck carrying trees literally twice its length. Other things on the list of stuff I *didn't* take photos of: head on RTA on a blind corner; rural village funeral (no connection); any of the actual trail; bear poo; etc.

I rejoined the (my) original track near the border at Mokra Gora. Amounted to essentially a 48hr diversion to see northern Montenegro. Very well worth it. Serbia track back up also great fun, but not as spectacular (hence fewer photos) so not as worthy in its own right of going out of my way.

Alternative translation: "no camping" 
View from point north of Mitrovac was just about worth the loop to see it.
I don't think I was supposed to ride the last 100m though...
What tyre pressure do you reckon to avoid a pinch flat on this??
Or so I thought. The trail then completely changed, to graded gravel forestry roads, with the tourists to prove it, and tarmac. Made me grateful for the morning!

Not my campsite
But this is: the terrain (and those bear signs) persuaded me I wasn't in wild camping country when the time came. Instead, I'm in what is technically an official "Camping & Caravanning in Serbia" site, but is actually just someone's back garden! €5 and I've got all I need. Safe bike parking, shower, place to myself - bar the kittens and chickens - and even WiFi (hmm, which isn't working). And TP in the loos! Called Jovanovic.
My one pot meals so far have consisted of tins. But they're getting rarer, and "just add water" non-existent, probably for the admirable reason that people actually cook for themselves down here. So when I couldn't even find goulash (for what would have been the third dinner running), I went for fresh tortellini and tomato paste tonight.
Belgrade tomorrow.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Transeurotrail.org/permalink/856868414468304/

NB: Functionality disabled to prevent extracting KML. If you want to follow the route, get the latest data from TransEuroTrail.org

No comments:

Post a Comment