Wednesday 2 August 2017

Day 5: Orleans to Montluçon - 320 km

Day 5: 320km Orleans to Montluçon. Crossed the Loire first thing and did some sightseeing in Orleans.

Orleans

Inside, too. Not sure my squeaky Sidis went down well...

Look down
After that, the fields ended. Yay! Woods and forests now. Unfortunately, so did the trails. With one or two very rare (but great!) exceptions it was roads all day or low value gravel tracks - especially from Orleans to Vierzon.


Maybe stay here?
To be honest had I known I'd have skipped it and blasted down the A71 given the value for kilometres/tyre knobbles. Got a *little* bit better about 60-80km from end.


Oops. My bag caught on a post at crawling pace. I jumped clear in slow motion. No harm at all to rider or bike and two passing Frenchmen very kindly helped pull it back out.
Er, nope. That bridge has a two foot step up and the handrail is narrower than my bars. In the ford, my foot sank 12" in floor before I even got off the bank. Can't see the bottom. Turn around. Good job it was down the bottom of a "let's call it twin track, eh" narrow overgrown trail. Fought my way back. (Although some bolder folk have since made it!)
All roads and no mud makes Metzeler an unknobbly boy ☹

Other news: the bike and I had a short lie down in a gulley; my Chromebook went on the blink; and I'm getting 400km from a tank (inc. rade auxillary).

Wow
NB: Functionality disabled to prevent extracting KML. If you want to follow the route, get the latest data from TransEuroTrail.org
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Transeurotrail.org/permalink/845506828937796/

No comments:

Post a Comment