Friday 18 August 2017

Day 21: Štirovača to Lake Šator, 300km

Day 21 - Štirovača to Lake Šator, 300km. Three weeks in.
What a place! Glad I didn't miss the diversion to Šator.
Swimming in that beat the flannel wash I normally get when wild camping!

You all said it needed a wash...

Gone from avoiding people in France to now seeking them out to ask where to camp. Bears and landmines and all. Given two beers tonight!

Croatian TET felt like a bit of a transit route. I guess it wasn't really possible to squeeze in the incredible sights the country has to offer. Problem with being long and thin?
No issues with the riding itself. More forest roads out of the national park, then road to and along the sea for 70km. Quite a stony climb out of Seline, made even more interesting down the other side by my stub of a brake lever. Then just as I was worrying I'd be picking my way between the rocks all the way to Bosnia, it turned back into "strade bianche" and continued pretty much like that all the way to the inevitable road drag over the border.
Terrain and climate definitely changed. In the woods it was cool, but on the coast arid, hot and rocky, much like Provence. Then over the border to Bosnia and it's moorland, like in Auvergne.
Forest mist this morning. Was genuinely cold for the first time in my tent last night.

Descending out of the National Park

Not sure Kent County Council would go to quite this much effort.

Croatia

Roman explained that this road leg was the only way to actually breathe in the sea air until Greece

I did find one other casualty from the crash. No blogging for a bit, then. Or HD photos or GPX corrections for linesmen. Sorry.

After the rocky climb from Seline

Border official didn't like my lack of a green card, and turns out they don't sell them at this post. Fortunately, his boss liked the bike, so I got waved through. We'll see what happens later...

Bosnia

New stickers!

It feels like half of International Rescue have been mobilised to help with my brake lever. Thank you. KTM Belgrade have stock, so, given the bike is rideable at the moment, my plan is to carry on to there.

NB: Functionality disabled to prevent extracting KML. If you want to follow the route, get the latest data from TransEuroTrail.org

No comments:

Post a Comment